Thursday, May 24, 2012

Wally Reflects on North American Wildlife...

This one is short and funny, yet another moment of Wally's genuine goofiness. I love the comments on this video, including from the interviewer herself. She mentions being so enamored with him after the interview that she asked his attorney if he was 'available.' Something tells me he's not 'flirting' with her like that. My fellow female Wall-nuts; as much as he may come off as such, I think Wally is just a very nice, sortof sheepishly-charming chap. He's probably not flirting, just being cute, which seems to be one of his many native talents. I'll bet this interviewer felt a bit blue to find out that Wally is very much not available, as evidenced by a several-years long relationship with a one Tash Parker, bless her heart. He verifiably wrote one song about her in "Making Mirrors" ("Save Me") and in the most disturbingly adorable fashion, she also has a song on her indy release that references his ("Not Unprepared" is the title....read the lyrics and you'll get it.) Don't know about you, ladies, but I can respect a woman who has bagged the brilliant heart of Wally. She must be something special. And I am glad that they both seem very happy. Wally and Tash at 2011 ARIA Awards, are they not f*#cking adorable?:

6 comments:

  1. The raccoon comments are so candidly adorable! I’m sure I’d be as smitten with the koalas and kangaroos of Australia.

    I love and respect Tash and Wally for being such a private and loving couple of people who respect their personal lives yet clearly are proud of one another’s accomplishments and aren’t afraid to say so, to mention one another gladly, and to be a “simple” couple in terms of a lack of pretention. Of course, I don’t know either personally, but they seem perfectly-suited and I hope no one ever intrudes into their private life to a disruptive extent.

    That being said, that interviewer on Band Crush was certainly doing her best flirtatious routine, but in a fun way. (Okay, I was a little uncomfortable with how close she was sitting to Wally, and awkwardly higher up than him, but since he seemed at ease with it, I quickly settled into the mode and mood). No one can blame her! Even male interviewers have commented upon Wally’s charm (as in a KCRW interview, if I recall correctly). Fun stuff and great guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, can't say I wouldn't be a bit googly. I think Jian Ghomeshi was a bit man-smitten in the Q interview. Wally charms all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, Jian's interview was one of the best that I have seen, and he was clearly charmed by Wally's intelligence and sincerity, not to mention passion for what he does. Anyone with a pulse would be charmed by Wally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! I loved that interview as well-I've watched so many weak ones, Jian really got into some interesting discrepancies with Wally. I think it's a fascinating factor in his fame-he is effortlessly lovable, yet so hesitant to be a 'star.' That tension shows through at times in interviews. The therapist part of me finds that really interesting. I've coined the term "reluctant genius" with him because he's clearly brilliant yet seems quite shy and almost awkward at times. Not sure if he realizes that the awkwardness only makes him more charming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm nodding my head as I read your comment--totally agree! I've heard (or maybe read it, rather than heard) Wally call himself a "nerdy two-shoes" and I thought that was rather endearing (it's how I describe myself, actually!). I don't have the therapist background that you do, but I'm an educator who deals with various personalities on a daily basis and, so, have noted certain "signs" about different human characteristics. Like you, I've noted the apprehensive moments at time--he's so beautifully awkward yet somehow poised and polished. Quite natural, really. You can tell he's someone who is naturally introverted but who isn't afraid to be vocal about what he loves, either. I'm a writer, and I spend hours at a time alone (kind of like a musician in the studio) and would describe myself as an introvert. But when I'm around people, I'm considered "friendly" and "social" (although I'd NEVER be social butterfly; I run from the center of attention!). I know it's why I feel like I connect with Wally as a person and an artist--the similar personalities. Your coinage of "reluctant genius" for Wally is spot-on. :-)


    In other news, though--I've enjoyed perusing your site thus far! And I love that you quote (on the sidebar) Reliving Off the Land. The "get Gotye one of his cookies" moment had me in stitches! Was that Tim-Tams he was eating?! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. when I found that "moco-doco" I nearly died. I love that, in fact, Wally sucked at acting in it. You could tell he was on the verge of a crack-up at any moment. The idea to portray him somewhat as himself but a more fitful, self-important rock star archetype was clever. When I am having a shithouse day I watch that little clip, always gets me laughing.

    ReplyDelete