Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Debt or Dismissal?

"Do I owe the sometimes random people who have decided to pay money to invest in my music and come see a show? I don’t owe them anything up front to have a certain level of honesty. I’m just creating something that has an engagement factor for me, that I think is interesting, challenging and expresses something." 
 -De Backer, from an article through The Music Network approximately one year ago 
(http://www.themusicnetwork.com/music-features/artists/2011/08/15/gotye-neurotic-exotica/)
 ~~~
There's a certain intrinsic response to a statement of that nature, from the individuals who become subsumed into that label of 'random people.' When I first digested the above article I was inescapably vexed that the artist (who arguably would not himself be labeled with such a distinction without the recognition of others) would adopt an utterly dismissive tone regarding the ears that hear his message. It smacked of hubris, of some sense of insular narcissism. I bristled at the thought that I had myself invested now countless dollars on the work of a man who would treat that benefit so cavalier. 
 "God, what a bastard. Is that the guy I've been listening to, splitting my head open over?"
In retrospect, now being privileged with far more information and insight into the often prostrate reality of our beloved musician, I see in sharper relief the burdens that bare upon his shoulders. I wholly admit to being part of the weight of that encumbrance. That-in itself-is a curious and precarious balancing act, to be so 'blindly' supportive of someone's work and life, yet to do so through the narrowest perspective, through the tiny pinhole to which I am privy. Do I labor in futility, acting as part of the scaffold that braces and art and an artisan with whom I have barely any mutual familiarity? 
It's only by virtue of the ever-expanding community of fellow fans that I find some deeper value to the often isolated sense of being a 'random person.' When the herd is gathered, we seem less like singular social anomalies with an overly-intense proclivity towards noise.  One begins to see themselves as part of something greater and more profound....suddenly random people become a mass enough to fill every last seat in a stadium, and flood out into the streets. There's a sense of validation and permission and power that comes by the notion of alliance. Some artists seem to be acutely aware of that power when they present their work to the crowd. Others seem inconvenienced by it, as though they would rather sing into utter silence. I see both sides of that tension balancing themselves upon Wally's tufted head. Like the ancient Roman deity Janus, he is both blessed and burdened with the view of the past and the potential future. And as Janus, he bares awareness of both agony and joy. On occasion we witness one of those personas as dominant, other times the opposing tendency surfaces. Sometimes he speaks of elation and anticipation for the work ahead and the gleeful reception it will undoubtedly receive. Sometimes he grumbles about the reality in which he now exists. It is certainly no wonder that he displays this duality-anyone would. It is the nature of the emotions he must place on his work. We cannot expect him to be disaffected.

I would like to think there's some merit to being a leg under the stool, even when it creaks and rocks beneath the weight upon it. Sometimes I myself feel put-upon by my passion for the productions of the supposed 'master.' On occasion I bemoan my fidelity. When I feel slighted (or when I feel others for whom I care are apparently slighted) I grouse and fuss and emotionally storm off like an insolent child. Yet what offense has really been done to me? I've not been violated in any manner beyond the transgressions I have committed against myself by feeling entitled or ignorant. I am, in the end, just a 'random' person in the grander scope of view. What about that makes me impatient?
 I think back on a review of the album Stand Out/Fit In by Wally and company's yet under-appreciated 3-man production The Basics. A one Charlie Sutherland begins a reflection on the music and the makers:
"The struggle for one's identity has never been more fierce - every day and from every side we are confronted by messages designed to challenge what little certainty we have. Am I special? Should I be like everyone else? Is it okay to want to be more? We learn to be very careful about what we do and what we say, introspective to the last."
This notion shouts back to the statement made by Wally himself that those he served are 'random' people. In less frenetic times, he himself was party to the same sentiments of isolation, ingratitude and anonymity.  Now that the veil obscuring artistic recognition has been lifted, has he now lost sight of those youthful sentiments? Now that he stands above most of us, is he immune to the all-too-human struggle to feel valued? My own instinct is that he is in fact all the more fragile now that he is displayed like a Faberge egg to millions of awestruck eyes. The interference in his head has to be all the more deafening at times.
As fans, I think we have to engage in regular acts of guerilla self-awareness. Otherwise, we are liable to become problematic and thus begin to blend into the mess. If we are genuinely inspired by the work at hand, we must respond with socially responsible actions and connections. We must take the kindling from the fire and make our own little sources of heat and warmth, and most imperative, we must share that warmth with others. That way, not one of us must be left feeling like just some random, meaningless face in the crowd.

Nothing but love, Wally....you know that. But with adoration comes examination. :}

c. P 2012

 

6 comments:

  1. We are all random people; to other random people. 15 years ago, Wally DeBacker was a random person to the majority of the human population, save for his circle of family, friends and associates.

    What Wally offers up is an art form that can often be percieved as an intimate exchange between its creator and recipient. He is reminding others with his statement, that he is a human being that is creating art that he enjoys and although might be based upon his reflections, observations,life experiencing or simply just what pleases him at the time, that he is not offering up his life and identity to those that might enjoy his work. I admire his candid honesty, and I think it is something that all of us 'fans' should respect.

    In as much as I enjoy Gotye and his music, I understand what the life of a musician and an artist entails.
    I have had the opportunity to live in the world of performers and artists and the struggles they face with identity, are eloquently reflected in the quote that you included from Mr. Sutherland. It is the greatest gift you can give a performer to tell them that you enjoy their work. It becomes their greatest curse, when fans forget that Artists are simply humans. They too are just random people, with their own lives,loves and experiences that do not include the throngs of random strangers that may admire their work.

    Enjoy the gift an artist offers you, but remember that the only intimacy they offer is within your own experiencing of that gift, and not with the artist themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, wall-nut, well said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent article and response. Very well said by both of you.

    Just because we enjoy an artist's music doesn't mean we know him/her, and sometimes in our appreciation as a fan, we forget that. It's good to be reminded that we are all just human.

    Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms. Sheol and Denise have made some comments complementary to my own feelings, so I hope I may add my two-cents’ worth, per usual! I actually am posting in two parts, as apparently, my comments runneth over. :-p

    I’ve mentioned the quotation in question that begins this post above (from: Poppy Reid’s ““Gotye: Neurotic Exotica.” The Music Network. Themusicnetwork.com. 15 Aug. 2011. Web. , for anyone interested) on my blog before, and although I didn’t mention it there, I had a strange feeling about Wally’s comments in that written interview. Not because I disagreed with them. Back in April, I think it was, I wrote, “When pressed about feeling as if he or artists in general “owe” their listeners anything, Wally is rather forthcoming: upfront, he owes them nothing because “I’m just creating something that has an engagement factor for me, that I think is interesting, challenging and expresses something” (qtd. in Reid). On the other hand, though it’s “odd” to wonder where ends the line of the “responsibility to the truth of your own experiences, and delivering that somehow as unadorned as possible. I don’t really think the artist has that sort of responsibility” (qtd. in Reid). In tend to agree. I think the artist’s responsibility is to himself, and that’s about all.

    In fact, I wondered if there was a certain intonation of the voice, a look about the eyes and mouth, a certain “vibe” we, as readers on the other side of the interview, weren’t able to observe or “get.” I think it’s a fair assessment to say that “Pretentious” is as antonymous to “Wally De Backer” as possible. I don’t think Wally was being pretentious here but his words had a harder touch to them (bad interviewing? Bad response due to nerves? Bad interpretation due to readers?) Who knows. I don’t think there was anything wrong, offensive, or malicious about the comment, even if it stung a few fans’ ears and hearts, perhaps—or maybe knocked them a bit off-kilter. But perhaps the effect comes more on the heels of the fact that Wally is so unlikely to “act up,” so to speak, during an interview, that this reaction seemed…unlike him.

    Or does it? We cannot claim to know him. I don’t know myself half the time, especially when thrust out of my element and suddenly finding myself uncomfortable in front of someone or being asked personal questions for which I didn’t prepare answers in advanced, or maybe I’m really unaware that I’m coming across in a crass way when I didn’t mean it at all. As T. S. Eliot writes in “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock,” reflecting upon the problem of human miscommunication: “‘That is not what I meant at all;/That is not it, at all.’”

    Human conditions haven’t changed much, if ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part II of comment (continued from above)

      I also think that there’s some other issue at play here. I like to think in terms of writing (as usual) and the saying that anyone can be a writer but you have to be published to be an author. In music, I’d like to think than it’s not much difference. Anyone can be a musician but you have to gain a certain level of fame before you’re a “musical artist.” The aura of the term “artist” seems a superlative attached to only those who reach the upper tiers of music stardom. “Musician” seems generic, a term applicable to the twelve-year-old strumming away on a thrift store guitar or the high school music teacher or the multiple-Grammy-winning “artists.”

      For Wally, his interest is in being a musician, not a musical star. Of course he’s an artist, but he doesn’t need approval from someone doling out “official accolades” to solidify his role as one. If you have to prove you’re something by tangible objects or titles, chances are, you’re more of a charlatan than you realize.

      But why do we, as admirers, even feel the need to rationalize that anything a beloved personality does or says? Why do we rush to his defense, try to justify something that seems “out of context” or “unusual”? I often struggle with remaining objective about someone I don’t know any better than anyone else who is a fan or admirer, a watcher and listener from a distance. Of course we want “our star” to shine brightest, to do no wrong, and to be as close to brilliance and perfection as we could wish. Are we fooling ourselves? Certainly—if we believe 100% that any mortal being can ever be impeccable.

      Paige, you’re right-on when you say, “As fans, I think we have to engage in regular acts of guerilla self-awareness.” It’s absolutely true. It goes back to what I’ve commented on another post from a few days ago: respect. And it’s not just about respect for the artist but for the self, too. Knowing your own limits, your own expectations, and realizing that anyone else—famous, talented or not—is just as subject to falls, fumbles, and faults as you.

      With this respect for the artist and ourselves comes a networking respect for the other fans out there who help add their individual presences into the “mass” that, somehow, becomes a beautiful, and not vague, entity. A support system. Not just for the artist, but for someone else.

      I believe that we ought to admire people for what they are, not judge them for what they aren’t, which will certainly always lead to misery. But, in being practical, the final remark in the entry above is right on the money: with adoration comes examination. Always be thoughtful and true to yourself (just as Wally, it seems, is to himself).

      Delete
  5. Always a lovely deconstruction, Cris.

    ReplyDelete