Saturday, July 28, 2012

Take A Bow

Before we dive into more pseudo-intellectual discourse, here's a few recent finds by one of my admins on our FB page, and an original nut. She spent some time in strep-throat convalescence hunting the channels for yet unseen treats:

http://www.buzzinemusic.com/reviews/music-review-gotye-kimbra-satellite-10202011
http://brennerliana.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/gotye.html
http://www.thevine.com.au/music/single-reviews/number-ones-gotye-ft-kimbra-somebody-that-i-used-to-know/

Thanks Danae! You're a champ!

~~~

All right, now that you've been fed to satiety with imagery and such, let's get into it for this weekend's installment of what nut Kate coined "50 Shades of Cray," or as I call it, the nuts being 'academic' for a few damn moments (adore you all, as always.)

My Saturdays are generally wedged with tasks related to our lovely and very active community. However, as a means of self-care, I decided to slow down on the grid and indulge in some guilty-pleasure time, otherwise known as two hours of Depeche Mode live in Barcelona, circa 2009 (youtube it!) Brilliant show, indeed, and something of particular note came to me during the absorption of said audio-visual menagerie.
It's clear from the moments when members of the legendary group (specifically front-man Dave Gahan and the brains behind the operation/lead guitarist Martin Gore) give the audience the chorus to belt at top volume, they are processing the enormity of the moment. Tens-of-thousands of listeners fill the venue to the brim, and sing with all their musical might. The band members can be seen closing their eyes, imbibing the immense sound of so many voices so deeply touched by their art. At one moment, after the choir of fans finishes an especially empowered ensemble, Gahan can be seen clasping hands in prayer and looking upward, as if to offer his gratitude. Now you might be scoffing, chuffing away that said gentleman is known-nay infamous-for his self-indulgent behaviors and bombastic hedonism. You're right, he was a daft prat at times. On more than one occasion he squandered the gifts. I'll also gently remind that the life of a 'star' is both bright and burning hot, and can scald and damage the artist.

Where was I now? Right....thankfulness.

It's easy to be limited by the tunnel-vision of individualism and the miniscule lens through which we see from day-to-day. It's moments when one mind, especially one so revered by so many, takes a moment to recall the power they hold that something lovely happens. When an idol steps down from their tower and reaches hand towards the congregation, they return to their humanity. They remember, and in turn they remind, that they are built of the same flesh and blood as we. I believe there's great importance in that. It may be the single most profound stabilizer between artist and votary.

Now you're wondering when I'll make this relevant to our particular muse. Hold on, I'm getting us there.

You see, I will admit that when I first established this now burgeoning community, I was a tad embittered by the loneliness of being 'so into' something. I had nowhere to safely speak of the music and the process and the dynamics that had utterly captured my imagination.

Perhaps also deeply vexing was the reality that I hungered to connect with the maker of the art. So much so that I worried I was overly fixated with that apparent internal directive. 'Why did it matter that I got a damn email back from him? He's a busy man, I'm one person, why should he care?'

Now I know why I cared, why I felt so driven to even a brief moment to interface with my musical maker. I cared for the same reason musicians stand in front of thousands of people like me and stop to look to the sky and stand in the moment. I cared for the same reason the artist themselves care; the abiding drive of human connection to the profound. It's a spiritual, physical, mental and emotional bridge, and crossing it is stunning and transcendent. It is one of the reasons the artist does what they do, and why we commit to that work with such fidelity.

Since those first weeks-when this space was all I had, the only safe place I could go to express the feelings evinced by the bridge that was building in my mind, I have come to see the reality of an artist connecting with his followers, his fans. His heart is open and gracious, perhaps to his eventual hazard. I am overcome to feel the warmth he has shared, with me and others. He keeps his head turned to the skies, ever grateful to be a voice speaking for the silenced, and most of all, himself. He owns his power with great dignity and grace, and he shares it with those who bask in the glow. Now that a bridge stands crossing the chasm between myself and my dear music man, I am also forever thankful. Truly....forever thankful. My hands and eyes are raised. 

With a full heart and careful words, Thank You to my fellow members of this community, and to all fans who share their insights openly. And of course, Thank You Wally, I'll see you soon. 



~~~

c. Paige 2012









8 comments:

  1. I was thinking about this idea this very moment when Z100 (NYC’s major radio station) was replaying an interview clip from none other than Rihanna and she remarked how she is always in awe to think that she has the power to unite thousands of strangers in one venue through her music. That these people may have nothing in common and may have never met if it were not for her music.

    Now, I’m not a Rihanna fan, but her words struck me as particularly relevant, poignant, and—of course—true.

    As fans, we put a lot of trust in the artist, allowing him (or her) to “lure” us like sirens to those dangerous rocky places…but we also trust the artist to only go so far. To stop us from getting to the danger (that, of course, is the “dangerous terrain” of when the artist begins to squander his/her gifts and, sadly, seems to grow towards megalomania).

    Balance in everything, right?

    As part of a collective drawn together via Wally’s music, all I can say is thank you, Wally; thank you, Paige, for being part of the ushering mechanism to getting us to this point; and thank you, my fellow Wall-Nuts, for continuing to contribute to our camaraderie. The sounds reverberating through our group may begin with the sounds of Wally’s music…but at the end of the day, it’s the sound of our very own laughter and chattering voices that echoes longest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all may be scattered across the globe but we have been brought together by a force, if you will, that if I was told a year ago, would change me in more ways than I could tell you, I wouldn't have believed it. I can relate the analogy of the masses of strangers gathering to see a live show with our Wallnuts.. Only after the show, we have stayed and gotten to know one another. These connections I know will be lasting and for that I am grateful. Thank you my dear nuts, I love you all! Thank you, Wally for serving as a conduit for bringing so many wonderful people together. And Paige, you initiated our beautiful community, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So well said, Paige. It's such a pleasure to read your posts. Its true our love for Wally's music has brought our group together. It's the common bond we started out with, but I for one have stayed because of you, Cris, Cynthia, Danae and the others in our group. I'm happy to be a part of this community. I would like to add my thanks to Wally for the music that touches my soul, and to you ladies for touching my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also want to express my gratitude to you, girls, and to Wally, too. Since I discovered you all, my life has changed and I'm not half of the person I used to be before ! I have the feeling I entered a warm, generous and welcoming family ! As you know, I approached other artists' fanbases and the feeling was absolutely not the same ! Here with you, no competition, no jealousy, nobody thinking she's better than the others because she would have known about Wally for longer or seen him more often on stage ! Even Wally's "old' fans are so welcoming with newbees like me ! And I also love the idea that Wally's musics helps us connecting from every part of planet Earth... God ! I swear it's true but I was about to write "planet heart" ! That's the point ! Our hearts are messes but the most beautiful messes ever !

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the sweetest gift, knowing we're all feeling the warmth of our mutual love and respect--for the music, the artist, and for each other. :-)

    ReplyDelete