Thursday, June 14, 2012

One Hour Away From the Real

Last night I stayed up far beyond my normal operational hours in order to absorb a wonderful treasure shared by one of the Wall-nuts on our bustling facebook page. It was a short but utterly transfixing live set done in July of 2007, as the waves began to crest from the release of Like Drawing Blood. What I watched was the humble yet beautifully constructed emergence of the artist who has now staked claim on a sizeable piece of my heart. Words fail me, in many ways, in attempting to explain the experience of subsuming myself into this hour-long experience. Camera angles swept across the stage, peeking through the transparent drum set where Wally sat and pummeled out his melodic perfection. I was especially captured by the candid and intimate moments where the focus placed onto Wally's face, and his eyes closed and mouth curled and he sang with presence and passion that I've rarely witnessed in any context. I found myself with knitted brow and eyes welling when he sang songs of sadness and introspection. I found myself grinning wide and buzzing with joy when he sang jubilant or humorous things. I found myself.....I found a part of myself while watching this. The part that connects from heart string to heart string, in the most remote yet salient way, to the man who makes the music that speaks to me. I hope you have the chance to sit with this as well, perhaps you will be transformed, as i was.

Watch Gotye and other great gigs on Moshcam.

3 comments:

  1. We quite possibly share the same brain when it comes to observing things, Paige. All the little subtle nuances captured in this video (major kudos to the Tech guys and Videographer) made my heart soar and tremble. I noticed the clever "peer-throughs" of the transparent drum kit, the gliding tracks over the audience, and other camera tricks. What really got me was the serene-yet-intoxicated look on Wally's face. That almost cheekily-boyish smile, the intensity in his eyes (even when closed), the way he moved from mic to drums at times...pure grace. I'm honestly still grappling, 12 hours later, with the proper words to describe that feeling of elation and puzzlement I felt while watching. And it was through this live set that I thought, "hmm, yes--his songs really do fit seamlessly together. This is an organic orchestration of music, pulsing to the human heartbeat--not just a 'show.'"

    And this was five years ago...I nearly want to cry, realizing that I've missed out on so many years of not having encountered him and his music.

    Oh, and folks who watch the video above--click on the "biography" tab beneath the video. You'll get a good laugh (to say the least).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You girls make me wish I'd finished school!!! Your words echo my feelings, exactly! Thank you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cris, I also oft wonder if we're cognitively/emotionally empathic in some preternatural way! I love that you talk about still humming some hours later from the experience. When I went to bed last night, juts a few minutes after watching this, in the silence of the room I noticed my heart was pounding like a hammer. It was not so much an anxious or pained feeling, it was not alltogether unpleasant, but at first alarming. I was unable to calm it for quite some time, and finally started just listening to the sound. In fact, another song comes to mind, Florence & The Machine "Drumming Song:"
    "There's a drumming noise inside my head that starts when you're around
    I swear that you could hear it
    It makes such an almighty sound

    There's a drumming noise inside my head
    That throws me to the ground
    I swear that you should hear it
    It makes such an all mighty sound

    Louder than sirens
    Louder than bells
    Sweeter than heaven
    And hotter than hell"

    Yeah....let's go with that

    ReplyDelete