Sunday, June 3, 2012

Time Traveling

The words of the ever-clever Matthew Inman come to mind; "Jesus Rollerblading Christ!" Why am I compelled to take the lord's name in comedic vain? International post finally delivered the parsimonious glory of a copy of Boardface, the raw freshman album of our dear Wally. I expected tiny sparks of brilliance punctuating aural confusion. Perhaps I was imagining an early-twenties Wally, cloistered in a dark bedroom, positioning old mattresses precariously to mum as many noises of the world outside as possible. I imagined a collection of bemused tracks conveying the fumbling, winsome young artist grappling with those matters we all remember were so deeply relevant at that time in life. Instead, I was awash with constant waves of emerging beauty and complexity that I would never expect from a mind so youthful. Truly, at such a tender stage in life, some ten or so years past, Wally De Backer, under the guise of his mother's affectionate moniker "Gotye" was piecing together the first parts of an awesome puzzle (now in its third stage, a decade later.)
I made the rash mistake of playing Boardface while driving 70 MPH on a crowded bypass. Were it not for the cognitive jolt I forced upon myself midway through the pre-Frank Tetaz remastered "Only Thing I Know" I am certain I would have drifted through three lanes of traffic in a state of ignorant ecstasy. That was close...and a bit thrilling, I must admit. If you've yet to absorb this first, green sprout of the statuesque bloom that is the contemporary Gotye, I implore you to download it or be stubbornly antiquated like me and purchase the CD from the source, Gotye.com. I consider myself a decently educated fan (or at least I have deluded myself into said state) yet I was thoroughly stunned while listening to Boardface. I am still a bit shaken and dubious that such talent and imagination could have already been stirring about in Wally's brain so early in his development. For a moment I pause and daydream that I was one of the earliest followers in Melbourne in the days when he scribbled the designs of the liner notes for each disc. The seventeen year old girl I was then-having grown up listening to the likes of The Beatles, Depeche Mode and Portishead as much as Sesame Street-would have rapped on his door indefatigably, with Australian bills in hand, ready to exhaust my summer-job budget for a few copies. Part of me finds it a bit melancholy; that young girl I was missed out on discovering this amazing music at a time when I needed my mind to be opened so badly. Now, ten years on, I finally touch in with the work, and see it in its brilliantly-colored spectrum. From Boardface to Like Drawing Blood to Making Mirrors, the aural artwork of our fine Wally stirs the soul in the finest fashion. Thanks, as always, Wally. I know you're out there brimming with more beauty to share. See you soon, in August! Much love.

5 comments:

  1. It's funny (in a neat way!) that I just happened to be listening to Boardface ("The Only Thing I Know," actually) as I read your post. I don't know how Wally manages to churn out three "completely different" albums that are somehow consistently "Gotye" in feel and theme. Does that make sense? There are sundry styles, orchestrations, and even vocalizations in the songs (especially when he's not singing them himself, as on Boardface in some instances) but there's a thread of questioning and self-doubt that trickles in and out of his tracks.

    I bought Boardface and Like Drawing Blood (and Mixed Blood) earlier this year and for a while now, I've been playing all three of his albums back-to-back, chronologically. I feel like he's able to get his voice to morph in any way he desires, to suit whichever mood needed for a track, and to always sound silky-smooth. For self-produced pieces from a budding young 20-something, Boardface's tracks are amazingly polished. Was there any doubt that ten years later, Gotye would be where he is now? I won't even answer that question--it seems so obvious. But I agree that it's DEPRESSING to think that those of us in the USA (and elsewhere) have been missing out for nearly a decade. I'm mesmerized by "Noir Excursion." They could write a movie around that song. I'd LOVE Wally to recreate it with a "lovely stranger" (woman) in the male's role, and his voice leading the song. When I heard that he's planning on reworking some of the earlier material for the upcoming tour, I immediately got excited to hear the older stuff that people haven't typically gotten to hear live before!

    Thanks for another great read, Paige!

    Pardon me..."What Do You Want?" just came on, and I now have to go tango my way across the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I was painting a room just now, with that song playing. Makes for a lovely tempo by which to make brush strokes. Had there not been a plastic tarp along the floor on which to stumble violently, I might have been caught mid-tango with brush in paint-splattered hand.
      I did not know for sure if the older material would be played on this next tour-that is spectacular news! I wonder, though, how that must be for him ten years later. The sense of self-doubt and interpersonal tumult of Boardface and LDB are a bit more acute, I can only imagine it would be challenging to revisit those sentiments years later. Perhaps that's just the therapist talking-it's also entirely possible that the traumas of youth have healed enough.
      That said, there is a certain magic in absorbing all three albums chronologically. In my case I have worked backwards, which has also been a fascinating and sometimes emotionally exhausting feat. There are times when I can't listen to him for a day or so-I get tired. His music just devours you for a while, and sometimes it is almost physically taxing to come out the other end. It makes me feel like Rob in High Fidelity; "what came first, the music or the misery?" Ahh, but such joyful misery it can be!

      Delete
  2. Decided to make this waterfront Records' first review of this album on their recently renovated website: http://www.waterfrontrecords.com/product/70018

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I'm the person who gave the review a "thumbs up"!

      Delete