Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Thoughts On The Road

This is a nice little piece about the very dualistic nature of fame and the touring orbit, especially poignant as Wally prepares to embark again: www.brisbanetimes.com.au/entertainment/music/a-certain-kind-of-stardom-20120316-1v9zq.html#ixzz1wntE8GiA ~~~Now that I have surfaced from this morning's migranous oppression, I can reflect a bit more, which I am eager to do in light of the anxious anticipation of my chance to purchase tickets to the Denver show. I loved the insights of the author of the above article, throwing into sharp relief the ho-hum musings Wally offers in interview as compared with his apparent euphoria onstage. An ordinary person like myself can hardly understand the bone-aching fatigue such a life must cause. But, on the other side of the enigmatic coin, one can also imagine the joy that must be felt by Wally when he fully engages with his art as he does on stage. Can you imagine-looking out onto the ocean of faces, each one viscerally connected to your product? The power must be somewhat enslaving. In fact, I appreciated that Wally eeks out a brief admission that sometimes he wonders what the ecstastic state of the stage could lead him to. It is my sincere hope that he remains genuine, especially to his most dear and loved ones. I find myself recoiling at the thought of him becoming the archetypal 'rock star.' I suspect I would notice a bitter tast in my mouth. Perhaps one so acutely sour I could be compelled to turn away entirely. His humble nature and quiet humanity are a part of his simple magnificanece as an artist. It is my hope that Wally continues to enact those things which keep him grounded, be they a bit of exercise before a show, a good book, or a phone call home from yet another remote hotel room. My therapist persona would also suggest he take some time to talk out his dialectical feelings about the world in which he exists. He has chosen this path, and now must negotiate the lanscape. I think it would serve him to seek the skills of a well-grounded counselor...I'll admit I am biased on that matter. For all my fellow Wall-nuts out there also wringing their hands tonight, awaiting their chance for admission to the upcoming tour dates, let's be thankful that our guy is 'giving us (another) chance.'

No comments:

Post a Comment