Wednesday, June 6, 2012

What A Day, Indeed....

It appears the acrid smoke from this morning's technical fumbles has cleared. I hope your thirst is slaked as is mine, now that we're on our way to interface with Wally and his work in our own ways when he embarks on tour. There's a certain sense of unfinished business, I think. I suspect there are a few neurons in my brain that are trembling with paranoia that it's all too good to be true-that something has to go wrong. Doesn't make sense, I know. Gladly, I have a billion or so other neurons that are far more laid-back, and most of them are in repose, sighing with relief. ~~~ Of late, I have discovered the connections that a common passion can create. The sense of community one feels when they join the 'following' fold can be very empowering. Granted, in the contemporary context, such connections are often passed across wires and satellites and signals, not the organic contact of bygone years. Although I would love to gather together with you all, like some mad book club, I realize the confines of each of our respective realities. I am honored to join you all in deep appreciation of the music. I end this maniacal day of booked flights and bank balances thankful to share with you a moment of something bigger than all of us. Something bigger than the very man who made it, something that soars above all our heads. That something is not just the music itself, or the bright lights and lovely images, it is the visceral joy we will feel at our moment to connect...not just with Wally, but with each other. We may experience that half a world away from each other, but in the end, we were all there. I hope Wally, as the inspired creator of the thread that passed through, will feel a sense of it as well.~~~ Rest easy, 'Wall-nuts,' we're on our way to __________ XO-Paige Image Courtesy: Daniel Boud

7 comments:

  1. Lots of emphatic head-shaking going on right not—I agree! While it’s unfortunate that many of us are spread across the corners of the country (or globe), it’s been lovely meeting fellow admirers and bonding not just over the music or musician but things like getting tickets to shows!
    I feel as if the show won’t be “real” until I have the tickets in my hot little hand. I fear it may take a while for them to come in the mail (September 25 is quite a ways away, anyhow), but for now, confirmation emails and order numbers and so forth are going to assure me that the Deed is Done, that I will be at Radio City Music Hall in orchestra seats less than a dozen rows back from the stage, and that it will be a phenomenal time.
    Thanks to the GotyeHQ for tackling the technical snafus and for the other supportive fans and ticket-grabbers out there who kept me persisting and fumbling around on the computer until tickets were to be had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I will be a bit anxious for the 'real' produce of my $200 expenditure yesterday. Might check that confirmation email every few days just to remind myself.
    Perhaps one day the "Wall-nuts"/"Gotyettes"/whomever else has pulled together a new follower paradigm will converge on a single venue, matching tacky tee shirts and all, and absorb nearly every seat like schooling fish. What a sight it might be for our dear Wally to look out onto a crowd of 'The United Gotye Alliance' and realize that even in the moments when he finds himself most frustrated by the world he has created, there are countless people out there who have been brought together into it. What a night that would be. Maybe someday, when I stash away the cash for a flight across the ocean to see the 'wizard of AUS' in his homeland/our sister colonial ally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Mass Exodus of "Wall-nuts"/"Gotyettes"/"De Backer-Backers?!" and other assorted supporters, storming a single location, would certainly be, to quote Yeats, "a terrible beauty." Joy for us--probably frightening for some others who don't "get" the love.

      I've been "saving up" for a trip to Australia since I was four years old (no lie; life keeps getting in the way!). I'm hoping to go next year...but I may be persuaded to arrange my trip around potential concert dates.

      Delete
  3. A Terribly beauty indeed. I like that.

    Will have to keep tabs on that Aussie trip. Perhaps with the completion of my grad degree I might be so inclined as well. have always wanted to interface with a Kookaburra...the original angry bird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings! I wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. I'm not even sure now how I found it, but I love how you so eloquently put in to words what I've felt since I first heard STIUTK and then started listening to the rest of Wally's music.

    I haven't been this taken with someone's music since I first heard Losing My Religion by R.E.M. back in the 90's. Yep, I'm that old (50). I've been a loyal fan of R.E.M. since that time and even got to see them in concert in 2003.

    Looks like I will be the same way about Wally's music. Once I started listening to his music, I had to have everything he put out, so now I have MM, LDB and am waiting for the Gotye mailman to send me Boardface. Then that led me to The Basics, and so far I have two of their albums on my ipod. And I also have Kimbra's album on my ipod.

    I will be attending the New Orleans concert on October 10th and cannot wait! But it won't be real to me either until I get the tickets in my hands. I also keep checking my confirmatiopn email and my account on groundctl to make sure it's really real.

    It's so nice to know that there are other people who feel the same way I do about Wally's music. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise,

    Thanks for offering your feedback and insights! Those are many of the reasons I spend countless hours finding things for fellow fans and sharing my thoughts. There's such a joy in knowing that others find a 'home' of sorts in the same pursuits. I am glad you have made the connection as well. Welcome to the 'fold.' You can join us on our sister facebook group as well https://www.facebook.com/groups/427503373936709/

    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Paige, for the welcome. I just went over and joined the Facebook group. Thanks for the invitation, I'm sure I'll enjoy visiting the group.

    Have a wonderful Saturday!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete