Friday, June 1, 2012

"A part of me, Apart from me"

Ah, Bon Iver, you say it well. I love your music, too, but partly because one line sums up the sentiments of my "fan" state for the Wall-rus... I recently had the joy of some mental meanderings with a fellow lover/inspiree/committed researcher who shares a similar interest in deconstructing the nature of what Wally does with his music, and the reflections it casts upon his interpersonal truths (although he retains a certain level of ambiguity and privacy, which I can respect.) My 'conversations' with my fellow devotee bring about further introspection from the lens of the 'fan.' As a function of creating this blog, and my commitment as a follower of the art, I stumble upon other pieces of the grand puzzle through that good/evil wonder called the internet. My reaction to some pieces is pleasant and agreeable, to some I find myself unsettled. I especially find bother in the seemingly endless commentaries on Wally's sex appeal and unusual good looks. There's a shocking rash of downright rude comments regarding his looks. I won't disagree with the general sentiment-he has a certain angle about him-I think it's his "smiling eyes" and sheepish expressions that swiftly disarm and fascinate. However, the litany of commentary on the carnal interests of some fans begins to irritate a bit; what about the work? What about the music? Is there not a greater segment of the soul that has been colonized by his beautiful art? I know that is my feeling-that a part of my "spirit, soul, heart" (whatever you wish to call it) has been forever annexed by Wally's work. And yes, undoubtedly a part of the artist themselves comes with that-I cannot deny a love for him as the brilliant brain-factory behind my favorite music. But I cannot "love" him, nor do I feel the right to profess such a deeply intimate sentiment. I cannot love "him," I don't really know him. My direct contact to him has been brief and transient. I haven't the honor of real "knowing." I have that honor with others in my life, one person specifically, and it is a gift that is only given to very few in one's life. My fact-heavy 'fan' brain makes an educated guess about who shares such "knowing" with Wally (Tash, hold onto that man, he's a treasure.)
The counselor in me wonders about the nature of transference, a phenomenon that is all to real when people make deep emotional connections to others. At first, my insatiable interest in Wally's music and life worried me a bit, from the therapeutic perspective. Was I placing on this person some intimacy I was missing in my own life? Since some deeper reflections on those questions, I have come to a more stable foundation of self-awareness on the matter. I am experiencing the unique shift of being truly touched by art-to be shaken to the core. It happens, and I think if one never feels that way about anything in their life, they have been bereft of true passion. I have stumbled across other great muses, although Wally serves as one of the most durable and complex-sortof' a personal paradigm shift, I suppose. I digress. What I mean to convey with these thoughts-to my fellow fans and perhaps to myself-is that there are boundaries, indeed. But inspiration must not be caged, lest the product of it be denied to the world. if you are inspired, let it be a part of you, but remember that it is also "apart from you."

5 comments:

  1. Egads, I feel like I want to print this entry out and frame it--you've hit the nail on the head here! YES! I agree with so much of your response, from the "unsettling" feeling that comes when others dwell on Wally's looks alone (he’s winsome alright, but that’s not all!) to the awareness that you cannot really "love" someone in that very real, intimate way unless you actually know them. (And I'll echo the urge for Tash to hang on to the "treasure" of hers!). It's easy to say "oh, I love Gotye" or "I love his music" and most fans know that the "love" in question isn't the sort of...shall we say...lustful love. But then there are those people who ARE lusting in ways that, I think, should be examined as symptoms of their own needs and wants. As you say, a question of whether or not someone is projecting elements of a proper intimacy that are lacking in her own life onto a stranger whose public ubiquity due to fame causes him to feel like a friend or even significant other. Yes, indeed—there are boundaries, externally (and legally!) and internally. At the end of the day, I think the most beautiful thing you can give anyone you admire is respect, privacy, and space to breathe!
    Also, the nice thing about admiring a public figure, and aside from making new like-minded friends!, is that these people bring new delicacies to the table of life. You’ve been eating the same old meal, alone, day in and day out when suddenly, BAM, some exciting new guest pops in with an exotic specialty, dropping it onto your plate at the precise moment where you were beginning to crave something (and someone) else, and perhaps would have preferred starvation than swallowing the same old menu day in and day out. As Rosalind Russell says in Auntie Mame, “Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.” As long as this sort of mental or passion deprivation doesn’t send you running amuck and to the wrong, destructive things, and dipping your fingers into too many pots where you are unwelcome, I see no reason not to let yourself and your passions run free at times. Paige, as you say, “inspiration must not be caged.” Don’t be afraid to embrace those fleeing muses, when you find them, and take their crumbs if you can get them! You may be fueling yourself for some great thing you’re about to contribute to others. Paying it forward, after all, is a great tribute to that person whose art you admire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always a blast of magnificence to share your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very unusual for me to respond to something on the internet but I just wanted to share with you something that I sent to Gotye thru his website. My family could not understand what I was doing but I have to say after reading what you wrote you hit the nail on the head. You are going to go far in life and be a wonderful couselor as you to have a great insight into people and life as a big picture. I assure you I am not crazy but inspired by you as it was after finding your blog/site that I was inspired to send this email to him.

      I have never before been so compelled by an artist as I have since discovering Gotye as well as the music from the Basics Music has always been a very important part of my life but much more so since becoming a mother to 5 kids (including triplets) My son would listen to his music of these obscure bands that have not quite risen to fame. He would make me mix cd's and call them Music for Mom Volume .....I lost count on which volume we are at years later. He is now a young man and on a journey to discover who he is and now it is my turn to introduce him to some wonderful music. I love how you call it a reflective head space as that is where I go whenever i hear any of your songs. I am not one to travel but i was lucky enough to get tickets when they went on sale for your final two shows in the US. I flew with my daughter to LA at the Nokia Theater to see you perform and I have not been able to stop listening and discovering since then. My point to all this rambling is I j
      ust felt the need to get my thoughts out and let you know how much you inspire me. Save me and In Your Light are just a couple of the songs that the words resinate with me. I am keeping my fingers crossed that you will tour again in the US later this year other than the festival that is already scheduled in Seattle. I live in Scottsdale AZ and my daughter an I had such a wonderful time traveling to see you that we are going to make it an annual thing. It was so great to see you in a smaller venue as I suspect from now on you will be playing to sold out shows everywhere. I love how you sample the music and turn it into something fantastic and with such a kind heart and appreciation for everything. I hope I am lucky enough to enjoy many many more adventures with my family thru your wonderful talent.

      Delete
    2. I am really glad you've found this site to be a source of common understanding. I think there is, if nothing else, a certain solace in sharing the things you love with others who understand the attachment. It can be very invalidating and a bit lonely when something has profound value to you yet those immediately around you struggle to understand or even oppress your passion. As long as we "wall-nuts" keep our heads clear and remember to honor our selves for our own powerful potential, I believe there is neither shame nor madness in loving the music, and being grateful for the presence of the maker. I know a piece of my identity will always carry that badge.

      Delete
  3. I'm happy to see another respectful, level-headed, and passionate supporter has found this blog and added her thoughts. Thank you! There's no shame in feeling touched and revitalized by someone else's art--I'm sure any artist would feel honored to have made his or her mark on a "stranger's" life in some way.

    ReplyDelete